The FV4034 Challenger 2 is a British main battle tank currently in service with the armies of the United Kingdom and Oman. It was designed and built by the British company Vickers Defence Systems (now known as BAE Systems Land and Armaments). The Challenger 2 is an extensive redesign of the FV 4030 Challenger 1. Although the hull and automotive components seem similar, they are of a newer design and build than those of the Challenger 1, and fewer than 5% of components are interchangeable. The Challenger 2 replaced the Challenger 1 in service with the British Army and is used by the Royal Army of Oman as well. It has also seen operational service in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Iraq.
Since the Challenger 2's armor is extremely high, it is very hard to kill. The top speed is not amazing, but the acceleration and agility proves decent when driving through tight spaces. Don't expect to score fast kills in this tank, as the reload is around a normal duration but its alpha damage is rather low. Since the armor is so great on this machine, HEAT shells will not perform very well against it. What makes the Challenger 2 stand out from its contemporaries such as the Leclerc is it's superb British accuracy allowing it to make impossible shots across the map and into often difficult weak spots to target, paired with the thick armor the Challenger 2 is an efficient survivalist in matches that if used correctly can dominate matches.
Pros and Cons
- The best armor of any main battle tank in the game, HEAT shells prove to be nearly useless against it
- The health pool is only a bit lower than average, unlike the Soviet/Russian MBTs
- Agility and acceleration are acceptable, especially for such an armored vehicle
- Superb accuracy
- DPM is the second lowest of any main battle tank around its level, only beating the T-84 BM Oplot
- Sluggish speed, the slowest of any main battle tank around its level
- Gun's penetration values are somewhat lacking, not much of a step up from the Challenger 1
- Lower glacis is an enormous weakspot